South Lodge Urn
General Pitt-Rivers excavated South Lodge Camp, an enclosed settlement situated on Cranborne Chase in 1893. A group of barrows nearby at Barrow Pleck inspired him to investigate the site to prove the settlement was of a similar date.
Pitt-Rivers revealed a number of these enclosures around the Chase and used a vast array of recording techniques to document the excavations. He also used innovative methods to show future generations where evidence was found. In the barrows Pitt-Rivers inserted concrete plinths to mark the position of the cremations. He also placed modern finds in the mounds to mark where he had been, such as a replica vase and medals.
South Lodge was regarded as one of the best excavated examples of a Bronze Age settlement site. It was consequently re-excavated between 1977–1981 by John Barrett, Richard Bradley and Martin Green.
The re-examination showed it was a dwelling site with two roundhouses. A trough shaped pit next to a mound of flints was used for boiling meat (a burnt mound). Other hollows that Pitt-Rivers thought were natural were man-made and used for storing grain.
This large barrel shaped pottery urn was found in the ditch of South Lodge camp. It was restored after excavation.
Other items in the The Wessex Gallery collection